Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology
Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) was established as Institute of Tropical Meteorology (ITM) on 17 November, 1962 at Pune to study the fundamental atmospheric problems and understand the mechanism of monsoon, weather systems and climate related processes in the tropical region.
To Make IITM a World Centre of Excellence in Basic Research on the Ocean-Atmosphere Climate System required for improvement of Weather and Climate Forecasts.
- To develop outstanding research talent capable of understanding and exploring enlightened and effective Atmospheric sciences.
- To further the advancement of Research in Ocean-Atmosphere by undertaking relevant scientific programmes.
- To collaborate with other similar research institutions, in the development and application of climate study.
Projects in IITM
Academic Activities in IITM
- Regular Training for Research Fellows in Co-ordination with DESK
- Comprehensive Training in Atmospheric / Ocean Sciences
- Sem-I (4 months duration from August – November)
- Sem-II (4 months duration from January – April)
- Implementation of M. Tech. (Atmos. and Space Sci.) programme of Pune University.
- Co-ordination for M. Tech., M. Sc. & B. E. project work of different universities (Pune, Cochin, Andhra, Tirupati etc.)
Areas of Training
As per requirement special advanced training on specific topics will be conducted for group of students / scientists for development of research.
- General circulation, climate and climate variability
- Geophysical Fluid Dynamics
Post Doctoral Fellowships
DST SERB Post-doc Fellowhips
IITM welcomes candidates seeking National Postdoctoral Fellowship (NPDF) under the DST's Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB), Govt. of India.
Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology ( IITM)
Dr. Homi Bhabha Road, Pashan, Pune – 411 008
Tel: 91 (020) 25904200
Fax: 91 (020) 25865142